Lawyers and Pharisees
Here Jesus gives six woes to the scribes and Pharisees. The Pharisees were more worried about what was on the outside and traditions than what was going on in the heart. The Lord made the inside and outside. Pharisees were wicked on the inside. They should have given to the poor and that would make them clean.
1. The Pharisees paid tithes but they did it for men not God.
2. They love prestige and the greeting they got more than God.
3. They were unmarked graves which men walk over with out knowing it.
4. The lawyers put burdens on people they couldn’t bear under and they did nothing to help carry these burdens.
5. They build tomb to the prophets that their ancestors killed. These tombs testify of the scribes approval of killing of the prophets. God told them and this generation will be held accountable for their blood.’
6. They had the key to knowledge and kept it from the people. They did not enter in themselves and kept others from entering into God’s rest. They scribes and Pharisees hated Jesus and were looking for ways to trap Him.